ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT TYPE APPROVAL
The Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (MACRA) wishes to inform the general public, particularly manufacturers, importers, distributors and vendors of electronic equipment, THAT SUCH EQUIPMENT MUST BE TYPE APPROVED BEFORE IMPORTATION OR USE IN MALAWI.
MACRA is mandated under sections 6(2), 95 and 96 of the Communications Act 2016 to type approve electronic equipment for use in the Republic of Malawi. However, it has come to the observation of the Authority that there are a lot of uncertified electronic equipment being used in the country.
Type approval is a procedure where the Authority certifies the acceptability of an electronic equipment or product based on conformity of the equipment or the product to minimum regulatory technical and safety requirement before the equipment or the product can be used in Malawi.
The type approval process of electronic equipment such as mobile phones, tablets, laptops seeks to achieve the following:
• prevention of interference in public communication networks;
• interoperability of customer equipment with telecommunications networks and interconnection between networks;
• conformity to local and international standards;
• addressing public health and safety concerns regarding emissions especially from telecommunication masts;
• strengthening post-market surveillance activities on unapproved devices and
• facilitating the availability of quality devices to the public.
MACRA WILL CONFISCATE ANY EQUIPMENT THAT IS NOT TYPE APPROVED BY 15th JANUARY, 2019.